Name:

My life included secretarial, medical and WWII bomber work—a "Rosie the Riveter". Military Wife, Mom and Grandmother.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

World War II

Thanks for your good wishes to me for my blog.

Working on bombers during world war II, was an experience I will never forget. We went to school graduated, had white collar jobs, and all was forgotten when I found my self working in a noisy factory because there was a war on. Security was a priority in everything, we wore factory uniforms, our hair had to be covered. We were like soldiers. Movie stars would visit us and pep rally us with jokes, etc. Walter Pidgeon was great, he made us girls feel like we were very important, and there were pictures taken for memories. We were allowed only one entrance into the factory and the same exit. Friends were made for a life time. Some of us still exist with fond memories.

Another thing about the real job of bombers in front of us all day and night, we worked long over time hours on those monsters, and the pay was good. It did something to my love for planes. I will never be the same, every time I get close to a jet liner or a modest plane , I remember what parts they are made of, and transporting people by the hundreds at a time, airborne, beautiful into the sky. I think we felt safer in those days, we went to work, we had a job to do, and it was a success. Our efforts proved to be worthy. Ciao Nita from the 1920s

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom C said...

I don't know whether you'll agree, but it's always seemed strange to me that planes do generally turn out beautiful, or at least good looking, although they are really just designed to do a job, and their shape is dictated by aerodynamics, etc

10:49 AM  
Blogger SavtaDotty said...

Hi Nita, welcome to the blogosphere. My cousin was a bombadier in the US Air Force in WWII, so he probably flew one of the planes you worked on. Thanks to your good work (and some good luck, I suspect) he returned from the war in one piece!

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi nita, thanks for the post, I'm new to blogging and yours is the first blog that i've come across as part of my course looking at creativity in english.It fits well with diaries and the importance of recollections as part of who we are.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you look like a nice lady, but there was no us air force in world war 11, it was the army air corp i am correcting you in a nice way.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home